Monday 14 July 2008

Winter is a comin'

Look what popped through my letterbox on Saturday...


The continual rainy days in London over the last week had put me in a wintery mood so there was much excitement chez moi as the realisation hit me that it is now perfectly acceptable to begin knitting in earnest again for winter...Hurrah!

I won't discuss the content of the latest Rowan book just yet as I don't want to spoil the surprise for all you other subscribers, so I am going to hold off for another week or so. All I will say is that there a stunningly, stylish shoot but a glaringly obvious lack of anything for the men...shame on you Rowan, particularly when you have so many male designers and more and more men are picking up the needles, plus it is winter, the perfect time for knitting snuggly woolens for men. Please do let me know what you think about this as I am going to let Rowan know what I think, as it is so strange that they have cut men out of the book completely.

I also picked up the latest issue of Vogue last week as it has all the new trends in for Autumn and Winter, plus a supplement from the catwalk shows.


As I do have a fashion degree I thought maybe I could try and put it to some use and pick out a couple of the key knitwear trends that will be appearing in magazines and stores over the coming season, but I will be creating my very own individual interpretations at home!

Burberry Prossum have a 'bit of a thing' for luxurious cashmere and silk mix fibres knitted into ribbed and cabled beanie hats and another key accessory, the fingerless glove. Using luxury fibres for small accessories is a great way to treat yourself or a loved one without breaking the bank as you do not need that much yarn.




A lot of coverage of gansey and aran patterns has had me reaching for one of my favourite 'comfort' books by Gladys Thompson, entitled 'Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys and Arans - Fishermen's Sweaters from the British Isles'. It covers a wide range of stitches and patterns traditionally used in making Jerseys and Guernseys and there are some excellent photographs illustrating both the knitting and the fishermen.

I have spent most of the day thinking about 'big' scarves and when I say big I mean big! I want to create a big chunky, statement scarf for this winter but as the weather has turned and we are now once again basking in glorious sunshine just the thought of it makes me overheat slightly!

No comments: