Friday 11 July 2008

Gin, Germolene and Rocky Roads

Le Tour: Stages Cinq, Six et Sept

Well, I really shouldn't have spoken too soon in my last blog entry about the knitting going so smoothly as these last three stages really have been an uphill struggle...

Official descriptions from the TDF website speak of, 'the longest stage of the 2008 Tour', which it feels like at the moment. 'The pack will encounter its first difficulties', and yes I am feeling the burn! And just to bring the first week to a close...'A short, but very nervy stage along the steep roads of the Massif Central. Climbing the Puy Mary before descending on to Aurillac could hold some interesting surprises. The riders need to be careful not to lose precious seconds', or in my case stitches!

The trouble started on Wednesday during stage five when I realised I was going to have to back-peddle a substantial number of rows after getting slightly lost on my chart. I put in a request to Jane for the Le Germolene and a dab of that plus a small gin soon had me back on track!

Progress was then scuppered by a very nasty puncture on the number 12 bus this morning and I had to do an emergency en route repair with my crochet hook. I have a strange love/hate relationship with dropped stitches as I do quite like picking them back up to see how they work but as this one was a 'knit into the back of' stitch it proved a little trickier.

So, unfortunately not much progress, in fact so little I will wait for more sock growth before posting another picture rather than playing spot the difference between one here and that on stage four!

Adios amigos! (my French is failing me today)

1 comment:

Terri said...

My thighs are burning pretty badly too, although I've yet to fall off...... theres time though!!!

We'll get there with all out CA team behind us:-)