Thursday 8 May 2008

Movement

I finally made it to the Tate Modern to see the Duchamp, Manray, Picabia exhibition and didn't leave disappointed as I finally got to see one of my favourite paintings in the flesh (no pun intended)


This is the amazing Nude Descending a Staircase by Marcel Duchamp and it got me thinking about movement in patterns and how stitches can me used to give the effect of movement. Repeat stitch patterns are described as 'travelling' and give a line through a piece of knitted fabric and cable work in particular can be used to incredible effect. I still find the Bloody Stupid Johnson hat a mean feat of cable work and it literally runs around the wearers head! Another good example would be Gust by Anne Hanson which has a lovely rhythm running through it and is similar to my current 'bus knitting' wip, the Hypoteneuse Scarf by the same designer.


I hope you can see where I am coming from? Now I am on this train of thought it will keep popping up and I am sure to find more examples. The Hypoteneuse is nearly finished, just another 3 repeats to do and it apparently requires a 'stern blocking'...watch this space!

No comments: