Wednesday 7 May 2008

And So To Knitting

Allow me to introduce my current favourite work in progress (WIP)...the Kerry Blue Square Shawl from Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls by Martha Waterman.

I am working in Rowan 4 Ply Soft and it is a lovely yarn to knit with. I have a guilty secret...I am a serial sale stalker. You will find me lurking near bargain bins, rummaging through end of lines and quietly stashing odd balls of discontinued treasure. This is how the striped Kerry Blue has happened.

I have collected a number of half price balls of the 4 ply and they look so fab together. I think I am going to have to go and buy one ball of full price cream but I can live with that. Stashing yarn in this way is such a great way to get a creative project together as you will find yourself trying colour combinations that you may otherwise have never contemplated. I love the murky green with the pink and in turn the green with the brown, yet I am not a big pink fan but it really lifts the other colours. I can't wait to finish the shawl.

The pattern looks really complicated for lace knitters in their beginning days like me but all it requires is a little concentration. It is really quite simple and looks so effective. This will also be my first lace blocking and from what I have heard it is the most exciting part of a lace project...will keep you posted...

No comments: